Electric Clutch & Electric Brake Actuation
|Type||Electricity Present||Electricity Absent|
Electrical Clutch and Electrical Brake Engagement
Electrically engaged clutches or brakes require that electricity be supplied to a coil for engagement. While electricity is being supplied, a coil generates a magnetic field and the unit is engaged. The magnetic field is used to pull on an end plate, which squeezes a set of friction discs together allowing the clutch or brake to transmit torque.
When the electricity is turned off, the discs are separated by wave springs, and the clutch or brake is disengaged. An in-depth description of the actuation of each of our electric clutches and brakes is available on our actuation comparison page.
Electrically Released (Spring Engaged)
Electrically released clutches or brakes are engaged when electricity is absent from the coil. When electricity is not supplied (that is when the electrical power is OFF), springs are used to squeeze a set of friction discs together allowing the clutch or brake to transmit or arrest torque.
The unit is not disengaged until electricity is supplied. Under that condition, the coil generates a magnetic field which is used to pull an armature plate against the springs, overcoming the spring force and allowing the friction discs to separate. The discs are now allowed to spin freely without the ability to transmit or hold torque.
An in-depth description of the actuation of our spring applied electric clutches and brakes is available on our actuation comparison page.
Advantages of Electric
Clutch & Brake Engagement
- Longer life and higher speeds due to reduced bearing loading
- No additional solenoids or switches are needed to energize the coil
- Devices are self-adjusting for wear compensation
Advantages of Spring Applied - Electrically Released Clutches & Brakes
- Automatic engagement upon power loss
- No additional solenoids or switches are needed to energize coil
CJM ELECTRIC CLUTCH & BRAKE PRODUCTS
- JEB Model Electric Jaw / Tooth Clutches
- JEB Model Electric Jaw / Tooth Brakes
- FEA Model Fail-Safe, Spring Set Electric Clutches
- FEA Model Fail-Safe, Spring Set Electric Brakes
- EMA Model Multiple Disc Electric Clutches
- EMA Model Multiple Disc Electric Brakes
- EPC Model Sheave / Pulley Clutches
- JEM Model Zero Backlash Electrical Clutches
- JEM Model Zero Backlash Electrical Brakes
- HTB Model High Torque, Spring Applied Brakes
- EFS Model Spring Set Electric Brakes
- SAB Model Single Disc Electric Brakes