Overview - Multiple Disc Mechanical Torque Limiters
- Sustains torque level
- High torque in a small size
- Predictable dynamic and static torque
- Easily adjustable over a wide range
- Superior adjustment retention
- Designed for easy rebuilt with no special tools required
- Steel-on-bronze friction discs provide longer life than fiber discs
- Torque range 1 lb. ft.- 2000 lb. ft.
- Can be pre-set to transmit torque constantly regardless of the speed of the drive mechanism
- Adjusting nut on end of hub regulates spring pressure against multiple steel-on-bronze friction disc assembly
- Multiple sizes from 2-3/16" to 8 5/8" O.D.
- Internal Flange Drive Cup sold separately
- Custom designs and alterations available
- Machine tools
- Conveyor systems
- Off-highway mobile equipment
- In textile or paper mills
OTHER CJM MECHANICAL BRAKES
- Multiple Disc Mechanical Brake (MMS/MMD)
- Disc Pac Modules (MDP)
- Overload Release Mechanical Brake (MOR & ORI)
Multiple Disc Mechanical Torque Limiters
(TL1, TL2 & TL3)
Carlyle Johnson's MAXITORQ® mechanical torque limiters provides protection against overloads while sustaining torque, so that shutdown and restart is not required. Acting like a torsion shock absorber to permit "slip" if the torque exceeds an adjustable pre-set level, these units are used in any application where obstructions can cause overloads, or where production is sensitive to over-tensioning.
The TL1, TL2 and TL3 model multiple disc mechanical torque limiters are often utilized in applications such as machine tools, conveyor systems, off-highway mobile equipment, in textile or paper mills.
CJM engineers can design and produce a custom mechanical torque limiter to meet your exact needs, and we can alter our standard products to achieve your requirements. Our engineering department is ready for your toughest power transmission challenge.
Features of Multiple Disc Mechanical Torque Limiters
Depending on size, CJM mechanical torque limiters are adjustable over a wide torque range from 1lb.ft. to 2000 lb. ft. Small space-saver sizes - from 2-3/16" to 8-5/8" O.D. - and high torque potential make them the best possible choice for applications where obstructions can cause temporary overloads or where over-tensioning is a problem.
Unlike our overload release clutches, which automatically cut the torque from full to zero, Torque Limiters acts as a torsion shock absorber to permit "slip" if torque exceeds an adjustable pre-set level. CJM multiple disc mechanical torque limiters are available in multiple models.
- TL1 / Type 1
A highly versatile torque limiting device, the TL1 unit is compatible with our standard internal flange type driving cup. (Drive cup is sold separately.)
- TL2 / Type 2
A cut-off coupling designed to join two shafts, the TL2 unit transits torque from one shaft to the other.
- TL3 / Type 3
A sprocket drive, the TL3 unit typically mounts on motor shaft as an integral part of the drive mechanism.